Monday, September 28, 2009

Concrete Poetry Making It's Way Into My Workplace?


So, I already was pretty sure I worked in the coolest office building in Milwaukee, but then today as I was ducking through the back hall down the stairs to get to the bike rack and bust my butt to get to class in the thirty mph wind I NOTICED THIS. You see, the company I work with just moved to this new-old building, because it used to be the Schlitz factory and now it's this huge office space with lots of wide, awesome hallways and open glass panels for ceiling and they have slowly been decking nearly every wall out with some art, and it's not like a typical office where they just have some weird cheesy painting from the eighties that doesn't mean anything to anyone because they didn't want something that would be evocative and since they are just creating positive space they don't care enough about what the thing taking up space is enough to replace it! So, anyway, THIS. THIS REALLY COOL THING, THIS IS NEW. I apologize for the glare, this is what it says :









"PRAISE



the



SCAVENGER



to



CAPITALISM



BIO/WIND/HYDRO/SOLAR



the



GARBAGE MAN



is the



RATIONAL HERO"






Obviously, I am limited by the fonts available through blogger and the weirdness that tends to occur when blogger does the html translation for me, but whatever. You get the idea, right? This pretty radical piece of concrete poetry just got hung on the wall of the back hall I use to leave work almost every day at the same time that we are studying this. Very strange. And very cool, because when I worked in the Liberty Mutual building you certainly wouldn't have seen this on a wall. You would see the Liberty Mutual logo. Or old, framed Liberty Mutual advertisements. Or, vast expanses of nothingness where something colorful and alive could otherwise be. Ah, the visual tyranny of corporate monoculture. How I never miss thee! I am quite happy with the art/design choices at my nice, non-profit job. We even have an aesthetics committee and they meet to talk about things like whether or not the new shelving units meet our aesthetic standards, whether it creates a weird relationship spatially with the other things, and sometimes they make us get new/different stuff just so there is less negative space. Srsly.

I do, however, find it interesting that they choose to stick this lovely piece in a back hallway and opted to line the main hallways with old Norman Rockwell-esque WWII propaganda.
Hmmmmmmmm....






2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, it's Jeff from work. Stumbled upon your blog after trying to Google the Poster's text, wondering if it were well known. couldn't find anything.
    I can tell you that the old War Bond posters are holdovers from a previous decoration scheme. Until we and GMF moved in, the second floor was basically vacant and undecorated, they've been adding the new art and design schemes since. I think we can thank Gilbane for that, they'r not only tenants they're the company that planed and designed our office as well. And you know the horrid salmon pink the back stairs are painted in? That was the color scheme of the whole building when I first toured it with the search committee two years ago.whole office buolding with salmon pink accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eesh! Salmon pink on the whole building? Eeeesh eeshesshh. Cool that you found me blaahhhgggg.

    ReplyDelete