Friday, September 25, 2009

Notes on Papa

...
my father called me
close to midnight
on a friday
i had just finished some homework
after eight hours of work
a take-home dinner
and two beers
since he lives with his parents
and he never calls me
and his voice is so open
and liquid
and he laughs
and races me to speak
i know he has been drinking, too
i am caught off guard
make promises i am not sure about
and have the guilt you feel
when you tell a child you've been attending to
"we can do that later"
when you aren't really planning to
but aren't dead set against it, either
not that i don't want to see my father
i miss him terribly, all the time
but part of me thinks
its the kind of missing
that sticks around
when the person is there
the gapping hole where all that possibility was
(OR)
the shallow hole in my belly that once connected me to my mother
the cord he cut with glee
so happy to see me!
so sad to see me go!
too sad
to change
anything...
i love my father.
i miss my father.

i don't know how to be with my father.

i haven't seen my father in seven years.
every cell in my body has been replaced.
i'm not sure we will ever know each other
as anything but friends,
and i'm not sure i can live with that
but i don't think i have a choice.
he has been reminiscing about my mother;
he still loves her and it makes me cry
becuz she loves him,
but differently,
and it must be hard for yr love for yr lover
to turn into the love of a mother.
i love them both;
my love for each is fragmented--
i have the kind of nostalgia that is probably specific to children
whose parents divorced before they were out of infancy
(the kind of nostalgia that precludes any real memories
or
the kind of nostalgia that idealizes Monterrey, CA
where they met
in the early eighties
when men still wore shorts above their knees
and mom wasn't afraid to wear a two-piece swimsuit
becuz you want to know how the air feels
becuz you perceive it as yr place of conception
since yr conception couldn't have occurred without it)

all these exciting symbols
substituted for billion year old carbon

he starts laughing
like he is still young and the years
are fading backwards with each forward
extension of his joy

i want him to be happy

he says he went to the cottage
and to tell my mother that she needs to come down
to trim the tree

i want him to be happy
and he sounds so happy
i must know why he is saying this
i must know everything about their love
so i can recreate it for myself
so i can have the love i needed
make a cloak of their love
and wear it in the world
as a signifier
that i am a product of love
even if i don't remember it
i need something to make it real to me
please!

[i think all children want to be the product of love/
is that wrong?
what happens to the children of rape victims?
i am afraid that in
most cases
he still
comes to dinner]

my mother and my father
planted a tree together
by his family's cabin
in southern ohio
right near the state penn
it's a shade tree
it's growing out over the asparagus
he laughs
and i want him to be happy
...

No comments:

Post a Comment