Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Ironic Nature of Consumption in the 21st Century...



is that I can much more easily put money directly into the hands of independent artists and small business owners via the internet than I could by going to a local, independently owned business (because most of them are dead.) It is in this manner that we are made to depend on a system that is not sustainable. I came to this conclusion while contemplating for the past month or so where I might go to find blank cassette tapes, because I am serious about becoming an advocate of mix tapes as an indigenous and threatened art form. I mean, is it better to go to Best Buy or to buy them directly from company? Can I buy them directly from the company or do I have to go through Amazon? Could I just go to a thrift store and find someone else's old tapes and tape over them? Sometimes that works and sometimes the first thing ever recorded on it bleeds through. Besides, aren't all those places owned by Walmart now, anyway? To what extent is it even possible for me to make ethical decisions in my daily life? Where did our agency go? Irony is for the birds, I want my real choices back!

No comments:

Post a Comment