Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What I Know Now/In the Best of All Possible Worlds..../How Will I Use This

How am I looking at writing differently? Hmm. I am thinking of writing in a more conversational sense. If you ask a linguist they would say that written language, if a language is ever written, is always more formal than spoken language. I think the main thing I have learned in this class is how to make written language have the character and emotional articulation of spoken language, as well as how to convey a state of being...

I wasn't sure. I kept my eyes down. Down to the floor. Out the window. I nod, and turn away. Always.

The form of this sentence is intrinsic to the content. Short and/or incomplete sentences function to convey the voice, not just the words and their ascribed meanings. It reads like someone talking. It's visceral.

The fact of moving words in a meaningful way in this class has effected me as well. It has expanded the capacity of words for me. Flat words on a page have elicited some striking emotional responses from me more than once...spoken words combined with images in films have done the same...but animated writing seems to function inside a relationship with the reader. In many cases, you don't just open the book and turn the pages, or hit "play" and sit back until the credits roll. You open the book, and choose the moments in whichever order you design in many cases.

IN THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS, if I could stay in this class forever, I would want to keep making longer animations. I really enjoyed making my "short" animation (it's two minutes and thirty seconds long...) and am looking forward very much to my looooong animation project. Maybe I would just work on Girl Island forever in the best of all possible worlds. Girl Island is the best of all possible worlds, that's why it is a dream, I guess.

HOW I WILL USE THIS...I am honestly not sure yet. I think a lot of what I have learned will carry over into my future writings and readings and teachings. Promise.






No comments:

Post a Comment